my very first recipe post ever, ever!


Firstly, you'll have to forgive me for such a terrible photo. I had to use my cell phone since I have no idea where the battery charger for my camera went. I also didn't cut them too impressively now that I look at it. Please don't let it discourage you from trying this recipe...pretty please?

Now on to the food!
My Mom is a wonderful cook and very supportive of my creating a food blog so I would like to dedicate my first post to her. Mom's been making these delicious squares for years and I'd anticipate them with every special occasion. These contain sweetened condensed milk which, by heating it with the butter and sugar, turns into a sort of dolce de lecce. There is a special place in my heart for sweetened condensed milk. I would drink the stuff right out of the can if it didn't seem like such a sin. Heck, I'd pump it directly into my veins if I could!

These are super easy and super delicious! Perfect for Christmas too! And yes, they will impress people (wink).
Yum!

Millionaire Shortbreads

Ingredients

Biscuit Base:
1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder

Topping:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup condensed milk
1 Tbsp golden syrup (I omit this...too evil for my liking)

Chocolate Topping:
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate

Preheat oven to 375F.
Biscuit Base: Cream butter and sugar. Mix in flour and baking powder. Spread in 8x8" baking dish and bake lightly for 10 minutes.

Topping: Put ingredients in a heavy, medium sized saucepan. Bring to boiling point, stirring constantly. Boil for 3 minutes, still stirring mixture. Pour over the base and allow to cool.

Chocolate Topping: Melt chocolate pieces in a saucepan or double-boiler. Once melted pour over previous topping and cool in the refrigerator.

Cut into squares and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment